Thursday, June 28, 2007

My black thumb has finally turned green!

IMG_1155

I have always been known in this family as the Grimm Reaper of Plants. Nothing escaped my attention and always bit the dust shortly after being planted. Here, in Connecticut, I'm a genius! (Okay, I may have noticed that anyone with at least half a brain can make anything grow here, but I have to make myself feel better every once in a while.)
Pay no attention to the multitude of substances on Miles. It was the end of a long day, and I said I was good at gardening, not keeping children clean.

IMG_1170

I can even grow lots of yummy things to eat. We have a giant blonde rabbit that is especially fond of my lettuce and chives. I haven't found a good rodent spray to keep her away yet, but yelling out my window, "Brianna, knock it off!" seems to work.
Miles likes to help clean up all the pots by taking out the dirt. What a big help.

IMG_1174

In Texas, we tried for two years to have grass that even resembled green. After a little hard work (and help from Katherine and the blonde rabbit), our lawn here is starting to really look good.

IMG_1187

I'm really good at growing other plants in the lawn too. Dandilions are one of my specialties as well as these little purple flowers. Jake calls them weeds, but I just count them as part of my new-found talent.

6 Comments:

Blogger Shido said...

Nice. In AZ right now I'm trying really hard to make it so our plants survive the brutal summer. Watering during the day is even tricky because the water will boil and cook the plants so you've got to water at night. But hey, we're heavy on the sunlight.

6/28/2007 12:57 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I am jealous....I have taken over your grim reaper status....I can't even keep plants/flowers alive in the winter here. I think that is a sign I need to move out there.

6/28/2007 1:27 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Alison, you *are* a genius! Cute kids, dirt and all.
Who named the rabbit?
Les.

6/28/2007 5:57 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I am so dense. I get who the rabbit is now. And I was just sitting there wondering why it was blonde and not just white. Duh.
Les.

6/28/2007 6:04 PM  
Blogger Darleen said...

I need you to come over to my house and help me with my garden. I just have no idea about placement and what is what, etc. Your yard looks beautiful!

6/28/2007 11:35 PM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

Such pretty flowers. I have one plant, named Spike, that has survived in spite of me. The rest went on strike and sacrificed themselves in hopes of going to a better place.

6/29/2007 3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home