Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pit of Despair

My friend had a baby yesterday. She wasn't due for another 10 days, and she happens to live down the street, so I got to go hang out with her 2 year old for a couple of early morning hours until the real babysitter arrived.

As I left the house, I gave very clear directions to my people, "Get all ready for school and then pick up the downstairs."

I had a lovely time with my little friend, sitting on the couch watching Blue's Clues, playing dress up, coloring a picture for her soon-to-be new sister, and trying to get her to eat breakfast.

The house was sparkling from top to bottom. The fridge was well stocked and organized. The dresser drawers were neat. There was a mat on the little kid table to protect it from crayons. The beds were made. There were kid "things" around the house like toys, books, boots, but they all had a place and the house wasn't "dirty". It was just as a home should be.

The babysitter showed up, I said good-bye, and drove the 30 seconds to my house. I was still feeling perked up by the lovely time I had with the little munchkin, when I walked into my home.

As the scene before me unfolded, I swear, I almost turned around and went back to my friend's.

With only 15 minutes until time-to-go, two out of five family members were dressed, piles and piles of winter clothing, crayons, dirty clothes, old baby bottles, dirty diapers, dishes, papers, food, and toys were everywhere, lunches weren't made, breakfast wasn't ready, Tate was ruining something of mine, no one's hair was combed, Lucy was coloring, Calvin was crying, and Miles was still running around in some extremely odoriferous pull-ups. There was old food on the floor, mixed with whatever Jake had given Calvin to chew on. The kids were munching on handfuls of cold cereal as they walked around the house, fighting.

Tears sprang to my eyes at the stark contrast and I imagined, horrified, what someone else would see if they had to rush over here to watch my kids, should I go into labor early.

I may not have been the most cheerful mom as I kicked everyone out yesterday, but I spent the entire day transforming my space. I filled many trash bags with anything that sparked my wrath (don't tell Jake and the kids). I scraped crud off the cabinets, baseboards, dresser tops, and any other surface in my way. I washed every article of clothing I found. I dusted, washed mirrors and windows, disinfected bathroom, trash cans, door knobs, light switches and handles. I threw out half the contents of my fridge. I stripped sheets from beds. I scrubbed every floor on my hands and kness.

What I did not do -

shower, play with anyone, answer the phone, feed Miles and Calvin anything other than cereal, put clothes on them, or sit down.

Once the kids got home, (yes, I did go to the school in all my non-showered, cleaning all day, angry glory) I still wasn't the nicest mommy. When they were lazy and threw something on the floor, I invented 2 chores for them to make up for it. When they didn't put something away in the correct place, I made them help me organize a drawer. When they were disgusting at dinner, I excused them and made them do all the dishes.

I am done.

We will be those people no more!

I realize Patricia only has one kid, I realize this space is too small for us, and yes, I realize we have no dishwasher, but I refuse to live in a pit any longer.

Just don't look under the couch.

11 Comments:

Blogger Leslie said...

I've had those days. My kids are still sad about some of the treasures that got tossed. Too bad, says I. We're still THOSE people, but not all the time. I love you, no matter how smelly your kids are. :)

1/12/2010 11:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nesting can be defined different ways it all depends on what number child it is. In my mind you have never been 'those' people.

1/12/2010 12:24 PM  
Blogger Marilee said...

Girl, you're speaking my language. Our houses could be twins....except that now your's is clean! Way to take the bull by the horns.

BTW....please give Patricia my best! Did she have a boy or girl?

1/12/2010 12:51 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I love, LOVE that you filled many trash bags with anything that "sparked your wrath". Sigh... That was my favorite part of your rant. Sigh... There's nothing that purifies a mother's spirit more than a good nuclear holocaust cleaning. :)

1/12/2010 3:23 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Oh, Alison!!
#1. I've been in your lovely TX home many times and marveled at your organization and neatness.

#2. Your kids (who ROCK the house) color, and play, and go to museums, and sew things, and wash dishes, and do laundry, and decorate cookies, and play outside in the snow (hence the winter clothes). I guarantee your home is exactly how it is supposed to be. Lived and loved in. You are doing it right!

#3. I'll take a picture of the current condition of my home to make you feel better about how yours looked.

xoxo

1/12/2010 4:58 PM  
Blogger Laurie Smith said...

My house is nearly spotless...cuz I don't have any kids living here anymore. It's kinda creepy!

1/12/2010 5:20 PM  
Blogger Clinesville said...

I had one of those days too!!! For Family night we had what I call " a come to Jesus meeting" and this morning after the kid's went to school, each one of their rooms were pristine! Let's hope it continues.

1/12/2010 7:03 PM  
Blogger anna said...

Oh I so have those days!!! I'm so glad to hear I'm not the only one. Ahhhh...this too shall pass, right? ;)

1/13/2010 10:52 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeeez. Where was your husband during all of this???

1/13/2010 3:18 PM  
Blogger Suzy J said...

I had a mini one of those. NO walls because they painted with matte paint and it doesn't come off so now I just stare at the dirt and get angrier. I will brake down and buy paint for this stupid rental. I threatened to hire a cleaning company and take it out the Disneyland budget! I also told them that there were other kids in countries that didn't have toys or families or houses or friends and they should be happy that all they have to do is pick up their rooms. It doesn't even make any sense! I get CRAZY when I don't have anyone here to scrub my bathroom for me! :) If I was there I would have helped!

1/14/2010 1:39 AM  
Blogger Annika said...

You could at least move to AZ then we could you help you! (Clean up, beat the kids, it doesn't matter.)

1/16/2010 3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home