Tuesday, July 11, 2006

"Tag Sale" is snooty for "Yard sale"

We had a "Tag Sale" on Saturday. Not a yard sale, mind you, a TAG sale. Yard sales are for those people who store spare auto parts in the yard (sorry dad, but it's tacky), shoot critters who wander onto their property, and marry their cousins. Those people try and sell half eaten sandwiches and used underwear to their neighbors. We are ever so much more refined here and only the very finest crap can grace the tables of our yard, I mean tag sales.
We did it to make more space in our house, get to know our neighbors better(my neighbor and I organized a neighborhood tag sale involving about 20 houses), and teach our kids about earning money. Tate and Lucy set up a lemonade stand and sold overpriced lemonade and chocolate chip cookies. I then dressed all three kids up in matching outfits to benefit from the cute factor and plopped them at the front of the yard for the whole morning.

Jake asked if I felt like maybe I was exploiting the kids and I replied, "Heck, yeah!" We might as well get something out of them while we can, before they reach that funny looking stage where no one would buy anything from them. I explained to the kids that the longer they sat out there, the more money they'd make. Lucy didn't care much, so she tested out all the toys being sold by our next door neighbor


and pre-licked all the cookies to make sure no one got a bad one. She also took time for a little shmoozing with the customers.

Tate, my Mr. Moneybags, sat all day out there and earned 40 bucks! He even had his best friend stop by and help him.

They both kept an eye out for potential customers and called out to those who looked thirsty enough that maybe they could be persuaded to part with a dollar or two for a warm cup of yellow sugar water and a previously tasted cookie.


He worked very hard.

Miles didn't do much but he's cute, so we'll keep him anyway.


The whole thing was a big success. I couldn't convince anyone that Princess Diana and Prince Charles actually sat in these two bean bag chairs, but I did unload them for a dollar each.

We had a great time with our neighbors, we have lots more room in our house, and the kids are anxiously awating the trip to the toy store to spend their moola.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish I lived on an Alison Parker street! Good job! Tate has his father's work ethic.

Grandpa Parker

7/11/2006 3:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you did a good job cropping the photos so that we couldn't see all the Christmas and birthday gifts we gave you!
Love, Nana

7/12/2006 12:51 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

How much is the lemonade stand picture?

7/13/2006 10:41 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Yeah, you gotta use those cute kids while you've got 'em. :) Way to go, Tate!

Love, Aunt Leslie

P.S. Great signage!

7/14/2006 12:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home