I do it for the fans.
Several years ago, when we thought it mattered, Jake and I were debating who was more "important" in their field. That wasn't really ever stated just that way, but that's what it boiled down to. Anyway, at the very end of the conversation (you'll see why it was the end), Jake turns to me and says, "Well, do you get fan mail?" I started laughing at him so hard, the conversation was over, we both agreed that it was hilarious, and we've (I've) brought it up a handful of times in the years since.
Fast forward to this year. I have NO fans. I'm feeling a little job dissatisfaction as chief laundry folder, crap-off-the-floor scraper upper, and bum wiper. Miles is getting teeth or growing another head, I'm not sure which, but he's not been pleasant. Tate and Lucy complain and gag about everything I've made for the last 3 weeks for dinner. I'm feeling like it's not really fair that Jake gets to go do his FAVORITE thing every day, get paid for it, get told how good he is at it, get to talk to adults about anything but poop, and last of all, get fan mail (which, to be honest, he does get a fair amount of). Not that my favorite things aren't scraping crap off the floor and wiping bums, but well, they're not. Hence, job dissatisfaction.
Fast forward to this week. Jake calls me from work and says something to the effect of, "Thomas and I were debating who's wife makes better cookies, so I told him we'd have a contest (notice that Thomas's wife and I have absolutely NO part in this.) You have to send in a couple dozen on Thursday so the Art Department can judge." WHAT?! I already have 3 million things going on. Girls don't do this! We don't sit around at play group and say, "Oh yeah? Well, I think I can change a diaper faster than you. Let's race!" But sure honey, since you got into a "my wife's better than your wife" chest beating, testosterone driven contest like a bunch of howler monkeys in the jungle, seeing who can make more noise, sure I'll bail you out.
So, I'm sitting here thinking, who cares about my cookie making abilities? I don't. And then I think of my kids, who burn their mouths every time I make cookies, because they can't wait for them to cool. I think of Reid, who lights up just to see a full cookie jar when he gets home. I think of my "other" kids, Katherine and Jenny, who can be lured over just by hearing a rumor that I'm making cookies. These are my fans! Oh, and I did get an email once from my friend, Suzy, saying that her favorite food is my Candied Coconut Shortbread cookies. That counts as fan mail, right?
So, even though I shouldn't make another batch of anything that will add to my pants size, I just have to remember, it's all for the fans.
Fast forward to this year. I have NO fans. I'm feeling a little job dissatisfaction as chief laundry folder, crap-off-the-floor scraper upper, and bum wiper. Miles is getting teeth or growing another head, I'm not sure which, but he's not been pleasant. Tate and Lucy complain and gag about everything I've made for the last 3 weeks for dinner. I'm feeling like it's not really fair that Jake gets to go do his FAVORITE thing every day, get paid for it, get told how good he is at it, get to talk to adults about anything but poop, and last of all, get fan mail (which, to be honest, he does get a fair amount of). Not that my favorite things aren't scraping crap off the floor and wiping bums, but well, they're not. Hence, job dissatisfaction.
Fast forward to this week. Jake calls me from work and says something to the effect of, "Thomas and I were debating who's wife makes better cookies, so I told him we'd have a contest (notice that Thomas's wife and I have absolutely NO part in this.) You have to send in a couple dozen on Thursday so the Art Department can judge." WHAT?! I already have 3 million things going on. Girls don't do this! We don't sit around at play group and say, "Oh yeah? Well, I think I can change a diaper faster than you. Let's race!" But sure honey, since you got into a "my wife's better than your wife" chest beating, testosterone driven contest like a bunch of howler monkeys in the jungle, seeing who can make more noise, sure I'll bail you out.
So, I'm sitting here thinking, who cares about my cookie making abilities? I don't. And then I think of my kids, who burn their mouths every time I make cookies, because they can't wait for them to cool. I think of Reid, who lights up just to see a full cookie jar when he gets home. I think of my "other" kids, Katherine and Jenny, who can be lured over just by hearing a rumor that I'm making cookies. These are my fans! Oh, and I did get an email once from my friend, Suzy, saying that her favorite food is my Candied Coconut Shortbread cookies. That counts as fan mail, right?
So, even though I shouldn't make another batch of anything that will add to my pants size, I just have to remember, it's all for the fans.


14 Comments:
I'm a fan! I called you the day I got home from your house for your Chocolate Chip with Pecans recipe, and not just because if I make it there's one less person to fight me for it on account of Kaisa's deadly pecan allergy, but because they were so delicious I couldn't stop thinking of them. So anyway...go fight win!
Your biggest fan,
Leslie
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dear Mrs Alison Parker,
I just wanted to write to let you know that I am your biggest fan. No kidding, no patronizing. I am an avid reader of your blog and a huge copy cater of your ideas.
I have had the pleasure of your cooking once or twice (not just your amazing cookies) and have to say that I am just waiting for the cookbooks to come out.
You have such a great sense of humor and an amazing talent at making others feel like they are someone important to you.
You are also doing an incredible job at making three outstanding people.
You are my hero.
Sincerely,
Your biggest fan!!!!
And I vote PB Choc Chunk.
A little somethin for everyone!
Ooh, PB chocolate chunk sounds TASTY! By the way, I have never sent you fan mail, but I am always trying to incorporate your parenting style into my kids' lives because you are such a fun mom! You told me once that you have a secret stash of toys that you pull something out of on rainy days, I have started to do something like that. And I was just bragging to a few people yesterday about how delicious your German Pancakes are-so there you go, I am one of your biggest fans!
I totally understand the "we'll have our wives do it" comment from the husbands. I loved when I worked in the professional arena and pot-luck work parties would come around - ALL the guys would call home and ask what their wives wanted to make. Guess who never had the luxury to call home and ask their significant other? :) Sigh! I'm mean - I'd tell Jake to make it.
Nana says you have to both make the same kind of cookies so the playing field is level. Always the diplomat.
Les.
COOKIES! COOKIES?!!
I'll be over later for some.
-Katherine
Will you send me a copy of your book when it is finished? It will be completely entertaining.
P.S. I think it's totally sweet that Jake was bragging about you. :)
Les.
Alison, my vote is for oatmeal raisin, but I think my preference for that particular type of cookie is pretty unusual. I do agree that you should make the same kind, though. Level playing field is always good...
And for the record, I'm a fan, too! Any time I tell anyone about "my friend Reid" for any reason, there's usually an, "I love his sister Alison and brother-in-law Jake, too!!!" I think you're an amazing mom and a hilarious person, not to mention the coolest blogger ever!
So there's my vote and two cents. You definitely deserve a prize or medal or at least a gold star! :D
Alison, you are an amazing mother and a total example. I wish you were back in Texas so I could pick your brain about mothering. I feel like a schmoe at the job. I need you!!
Yeah, for sure the candied shortbread, and while you're at it, can you post the recipe? I've got to have a winner for next year's cookie contest. Then I'll REALLY start sending you some fan mail...
(ps, you can count our christmas card as fan mail!!)
Ooh, I just had a thought (I'm sure it's too late for this contest, but incase there's a rematch or anything) Oatmeal Chocolate Chunk Cookies! Mmmmm, those are the BEST type of cookies in the whole wide world!
Good luck today with the contest, hopefully you got some sleep last night inspite of your BIG day today! :O
Post a Comment
<< Home