Sunday, June 15, 2008

Turnin' off the tube!

We did it. We got rid of cable! I presented the idea to the family at dinner one night, somewhat like this:
"Hey, do you know how much we spend a month on t.v? Well, if we turned it off just for the summer, we would have 200 dollars! Do you know what we can do with that much money? We can go to a water park, see a movie, and go out for ice cream! What do you want to do?"
Well, we weren't watching any except for the little people's daily dose of Curious George and SuperWhy anyway, so they all quickly agreed to turn it off. The cable box has been gone for 2 weeks now (we don't even get basic without it), and not once have I heard a regret. We play charades at night, we read lots of books, we play frisbee in the backyard, we do puzzles, we play hide-and-go-seek, we go for walks, we do chores (he he he), we make treats together, and actually TALK to each other. I'm loving it.
The whole reason I'm doing this is not to make us smarter or closer as a family, although those are happy side effects. Right before the decision was made, I sat down in the late afternoon to look at the weather. Tate was standing next to me, and as I flipped it on, there was an image of something on the screen that made me flip it off after 2 seconds. Two people were celebrating a decision by the California Supreme Court with a kiss. 2 seconds! I flipped it off immediately, but Tate said, "What was THAT?" I dismissed it quickly, but it bothered me enough to take action. I want to be in charge of what comes into my home. I want to decide what my kids see, not leave it to some t.v. exec with no morals. He's not old enough to be exposed to that and it was on the news for the love of Pete! If one of my kids had flipped it on, as Miles often does, Tate would have seen much much more before I could run in and turn it off.
We still own a t.v. and watch movies once in a while (I still need time to do the laundry!), but this has been a great thing. I'm not going to turn it on in the fall (I may be singing a different tune in December when I've got a new baby, but I doubt it.) and maybe, just maybe, we'll all be a little smarter for it!

13 Comments:

Blogger The Blakes said...

We just had this conversation at our house and I'm on the verge of doing the same thing. I'll let you know if I take the plunge.

6/16/2008 10:01 AM  
Blogger kj said...

Awesome. Way to go, Alison! I love not having TV (for the past 4 years) and don't ever want it back, but my reasons aren't as good as yours...I just hate the cable company and refuse to deal with them or anyone else who wants to sell me air at exhorbitant prices.

6/16/2008 12:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so with you. We never watch TV. Well, my kids don't, anyway. A few episodes a week of cyerchase and curious george while I do dinner. So I could give it up during the day, but no way am I giving up "so you think you can dance!"

6/16/2008 1:53 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Once again I am awed at your greatness. I have been talking about doing just such a thing with Troy for at least a year. I'll never be brave enough to actually do it.

6/16/2008 4:19 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I have been thinking of giving up television, if only because I watch waaaaay too much "Law and Order" in the evenings.

6/16/2008 6:28 PM  
Blogger The Skousen's said...

I think that is so stinkin COOL! GOOD FOR YOU! Anything to make our homes as non-wordly as possible! GO AL!

6/16/2008 7:14 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I LOVE that decision! My siblings and I grew up without TV in our home and I want to raise my kids the same way. We were all deliciously naive about the evils of the outside world! ;) Way to go, Al!!!

6/16/2008 9:44 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Mmmm..interesting thoughts.

6/17/2008 9:26 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

we turned ours off in may. It was too expensive for not turning it on very often. I think I have only been sad not to have it one or twice, but my house seems to be a lot cleaner without it on.

6/17/2008 2:01 PM  
Blogger The Cochran Family said...

Oh, your makkin me feel bad, real bad! I watch way too much tv and when I brought it up to Seth to cancel the cable...he thinks I'm crazy...but I know enough people who have done this that there are far more advataged and disadvantages! Way to go! Thanks for sharing..I'll have seth read!

6/17/2008 2:17 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Good for you!
Les.

6/17/2008 9:22 PM  
Blogger Val said...

Good for you. Jason would never let me give it up but I don't think I would want to. we never watch the news for that reason of never knowing what is going to be on it. We just let them watch all the junk on Disney and Nick.
I'm in California right now and just heard about it the other day. I guess that's when it was passed. To each their own but to do hae to proclaim it to the world on television. Whatever.
You know this week we haven't had tv and the kids have been fine. they have watched movies on the tv but know channels on the tv. And they haen't asked me to buy them anything either.

6/20/2008 11:14 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

You rock my socks, Alison! I hope i can do the same for my kids...one day

6/24/2008 8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home