Sunday, July 12, 2009

Belated 4th weekend

IMG_8138

Happy 4th of July!

This is my absolute favorite holiday. Even better than Christmas.

So of course, we had to have decorations:

IMG_8087

(Lucy understood, "Go help Miles put up flags" as "Go do it for him just to make him mad.")

IMG_8091

We had to have appropriately colored food because I am that good.

IMG_8096

(Actually, I didn't even think about the colors of this photo until I saw them dumped onto my desktop. I was taking the photo to document the 7 pounds of pistachios eaten by my 3-year old.)

We had the patriotic toys to keep us busy before the fireworks started:

IMG_7999

These whistles were loud.

IMG_7963

Really loud.

They may not find their way out of the bucket next 4th.

IMG_7970

Luckily, it was a really big field and we sent the little boogers far far away.

IMG_7948

We had our traditional picnic food on the field.

Fried chicken, pasta salad, and star cookies.

Calvin was my biggest fan.

IMG_7943

Miles loves a picnic.

Obviously, traditional manners are obsolete during these events.

IMG_7935

Then the sun started to set and the troops got a little restless.

IMG_7972

Maybe even a little grouchy.

IMG_8008

IMG_8005

Lucy and her little friend decided we were "boring. We're sailing to China for fireworks."

Hope they enjoy Independence Day there.

IMG_8013

Finally, I had to pull out the big guns.

IMG_8014

Yes, truly, that is a total of 8 children lying perfectly motionless on the ground.

IMG_8020

My secret:

I have super powers.

IMG_8026

That, and I overlook the occasional cheating.

IMG_8027

Once it got really dark, every other human being on the planet pulled out a box of sparklers.

Honestly.

Just ask my kids.

For, I am the meanest mom on earth and would not let them hold one.

This was pure torture for them, so I sent Jake and the disgruntled three on a search for cotton candy.

Spongebob popsicles? Close enough!


IMG_8060

The fireworks were awesome. I don't use that word lightly. I love love love fireworks. Even Calvin enjoyed them. It was a fabulous evening.

It helps to have a secret weapon.

Karen.

IMG_8055

On the actual 4th, we dragged several of our closest friends to "the Castle" at the beach for a tiny hike and another picnic.

This time potluck. My friends can COOK! I must have gained 6 pounds.

We tried taking a family photo while up there, but apparently Tate is possessed,

IMG_8122

and Miles is considering seceding from the family.

IMG_8123

Nothing a good bit of tickling can't fix.

IMG_8128

There's nothing like tickling a little kid to release some pent up frustration with them.

That, or a waterballoon to the head.

IMG_8129

We played a little Red Rover too. I think I need to teach Tate the finer points of the game. He needs to look for the weak links in the line. I think I can spot a good one he missed.

IMG_8102

Mostly, we just played around and enjoyed being together.

Oh, and taking someone potty. Can you guess who had to use the facilities (no facilities to be found) a total of 9 times on that hike?

No?

IMG_8136

Happy 4th!

IMG_8144

5 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Love the pictures. Looks like you had lots of fun.

7/12/2009 9:04 PM  
Blogger Kara said...

Calvin is the cutest thing ever.

7/13/2009 9:55 AM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

So much better than our 4th. We nearly combusted into fireworks just waiting in the heat for the show to start.

p.s. I always knew you had super powers.

lucky

7/13/2009 9:11 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Ok so I really want to know how you made them all lie still like that!!! And I agree with your friend Kara. Calvin is the cutest!!! :)

7/13/2009 10:01 PM  
Blogger kj said...

Those family tickle pictures are so so so cute. I love them! And you're only now just admitting that you have super powers? I know that you've had them ever since I met you at least...and probably longer than that. I agree. The 4th of July is the best holiday.

7/14/2009 12:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home