Tricking kids is fun.
We're all stuck home because Miley's still sick, but we're heading toward cabin fever. To prevent any violence, I got a little sneaky. Usually we do our chores first and then the fun stuff in the afternoon. I knew that wouldn't fly today, so I wrote all the chores and all the fun things on a list, cut it into strips, folded them up, and put them in a jar. We've been picking all day and the kids have even had fun with the cleaning ones (I kept them in tiny little jobs so as not to overwhelm.)
Some of the highlights:
Mop the kitchen floor with our feet.
Read 3 books.
Write a letter to an Aunt or Uncle
Play doh
Make sugar cookies (I usually keep dough frozen for just such a day)
Find the treat hidden in Lucy's room (small package of m&m's)
Blow bubbles in the front yard
Room attack the living room
" " dining room, toy room, upstairs (each on their own strip)
Watch one episode of Duck Tales (thank you Netflix!)
Clip fingernails (they hate when I announce this and all hide)
Hopscotch out front
Tea Party
Hide n Seek
Put clean laundry away
Clean out under the couch cushions (I hid a few quarters, nickels, and dimes beforehand)
10 minutes of video games
Draw mustaches on faces in old magazines (this is how I weed out the old magazines)
It worked like a charm. It kept us occupied from 9 this morning until 5 this afternoon.
Some of the highlights:
Mop the kitchen floor with our feet.
Read 3 books.
Write a letter to an Aunt or Uncle
Play doh
Make sugar cookies (I usually keep dough frozen for just such a day)
Find the treat hidden in Lucy's room (small package of m&m's)
Blow bubbles in the front yard
Room attack the living room
" " dining room, toy room, upstairs (each on their own strip)
Watch one episode of Duck Tales (thank you Netflix!)
Clip fingernails (they hate when I announce this and all hide)
Hopscotch out front
Tea Party
Hide n Seek
Put clean laundry away
Clean out under the couch cushions (I hid a few quarters, nickels, and dimes beforehand)
10 minutes of video games
Draw mustaches on faces in old magazines (this is how I weed out the old magazines)
It worked like a charm. It kept us occupied from 9 this morning until 5 this afternoon.


7 Comments:
Wow, you are Wonder Woman, I don't know how you do it. Sometimes when my kids are getting out of hand or something I think to myself, "How would Alison handle this situation???" And usually I can come up with a solution-I seriously do that!
FUN! You are so creative. I just turn on the TV. StinkyMom...that's me.
Les.
Great list! I never thought about mixing in the fun and the evil together. When are you going to write your parenting book?
Wow, you are a much cooler mom than I am.
Can I come live at your house?
Genius!! I'm printing out your list and using it!!
Alison: You are absolutely the most creative woman I know, bar none. I've tried to figure out by what I read when you have time for all of this creative thinking and have decided that it is just a part of you. Like everyone says how talented Jake is and all of that, and we know that he has worked harder at his craft than anyone else we know...well, he has talent, too, but it's the fact that he's such a hard worker that makes him successful...the world is full of talented people who don't use it well. You're the perfect compliment to him in your marriage...the penultimate Mormon Mom...righteous, intelligent, resourceful...you've got it all...and the only thing to mar it is that 'bossy' thing you do so well...but hey, none of us are perfect...yet...but you're closer than most. I hope you had a wonderful birthday...you deserve the best.
Dad Parker
Post a Comment
<< Home