Sunday, September 21, 2008

What does Canada have that we don't?

Jake! He's been gone for 3 days now and I realize how spoiled I am to have a hunny that doesn't travel much. He left Friday before the kids were even awake, and won't be home until Monday night, but it's not been nearly as bad as I thought it would be even though Miles asks "where's Daddy?" every 30 minutes.
Yesterday was filled with stomp rockets, paper airplanes, and a picnic at the park. There was an Ice Cream Social after school on Friday, we've watched many many old episodes of He-Man, and we've consumed an alarming amount of Mac-n-cheese, chocolate milk, and hotdogs.
We also ventured to Costco where we got to see an honest to goodness fist fight right in front of us in the checkout line. (Gotta get out of this ghetto called Greenwich!) My kids were dumbstruck, so I used it as an opportunity to point out why we learn manners and self-control in Elementary school so as not to humiliate ourselves later in life.
We spent this afternoon going for a walk, reading books, and picking out clothes for next week.
Sometimes it's kind of nice to lower our standards for a weekend. The house has been a little grimier, the kids have gotten to stay up a little later, and all meals have been prepared in under 4 minutes, but just think how much more we'll appreciate it when Jake finally returns.

On a side note, and to fulfill all boring journal writing requirements for posterity, we've started something new with this school year. Since Jake doesn't get home until almost bed-time during the school year, we were having to eat dinner without him. That was no fun at all and we missed him spending time with us at the table, so we've started having family breakfast together instead of dinner. The other reason for this had something to do with several times last year where someone would announce on the way to school that they forgot to eat breakfast.
Anyway, I get up every morning before 6, shower, get myself all ready, and head down to make breakfast. At about 6:45, I holler up the stairs for everyone to get ready (I may throw in a threat or two about no food) and I finish cooking and making the lunches. As the kids come down (only after being fully dressed, with a clean room and made bed), they help set the table and we all sit down to eat. I'm putting most of my culinary effort into breakfast these days, and so far, everyone (including me) loves it. They're full longer, we don't eat cold cereal anymore except on Saturdays, and nobody "forgets" to eat. I've had to invent an entire menu of food so we don't have any repeats in a month, but it's been lots of fun.
Here's Monday of last week:

IMG_7569

By the way, Cynthia, you will forever be a rock star in my children's eyes for giving me the recipe for your orange rolls.

11 Comments:

Blogger Rachael said...

The rolls look fabulous an I love the chopped apples. What's in the other bowl?? Eggs??

I cannot believe I missed the fist fight! I always witnessed people ALMOST getting to the point of a fist fight - but never the actual thing. Sigh!

9/21/2008 10:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You make my frozen waffles look like poo! Will you please invite me again so I can put in my correct address and add you to my favs? I would love to email Jake a photo of my crazed fan tattoo art work by Jake P. but this is a G site! :P

9/21/2008 11:12 PM  
Blogger Claire Mills said...

my mouth is watering.. send me the recipe to the orange rolls! dont be stingy!

9/21/2008 11:28 PM  
Blogger Dinner Club in CT said...

Yum! Post the recipe. I hope one day I can have the motivation and energy to do good breakfasts like this.
Jake still is not home...that is not a weekend, that is four days!

9/22/2008 9:12 AM  
Blogger Hillary said...

You have my sympathy about the traveling hubby-that's the WORST! Glad he'll be back tonight.

If we still lived out there, we might have just suprisingly showed up at your front door one morning holding out some empty plates!
Looks tasty!

9/22/2008 10:12 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

You are forever invited to eat breakfast at my house- and maybe cook it too. We do get homemade breakfast at least once a week.

9/22/2008 1:50 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Ooh! I'd love the recipe, too. And your month's menu, too. That's not too much to ask, is it? I SO wish we could've had your kids over this weekend so you could have a break. Someday...
Les.

9/22/2008 2:57 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

I am so freakin' hungry now. I need that recipe, myself!

9/22/2008 7:06 PM  
Blogger The Fowers said...

Whoa, slow down sister! Are you sure those aren't frozen-pop-them-in-the-oven pretend rolls? Didn't you have to get up at 4:00 to make them? Count me impressed. Great idea, though. I guess if you threw in some scripture study, you just might be translated.

9/22/2008 11:10 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

I think orange rolls are one of my most favorite foods ever! We have thus included them in our Thanksgiving Dinner menu every year!

9/23/2008 10:32 AM  
Blogger kj said...

You completely rock...AND you're pregnant while doing all this stuff! FAR too often when I was pregnant the routine was:

Kids: I'm hungry, Mom.

Me: You can eat whatever you can reach.

9/23/2008 11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home