Winter Break
Ok, who made this up?
Winter Break?
I can see taking a break from school in the winter if you lived in a warm weather climate like Arizona or California. Sure, who wouldn't want to take a week off to play when it's 75 degrees all day? Or, even say, if you lived in a really cold place and had the resources to fly to the Bahamas for a week, sure! I'd want a week off for that too.
But we don't come under either of those categories and still, we have a week off (12 days this time due to sick days and pres. day) during the middle of February. They take the single most horrible weather month and take away all structured activity for a week. We can't go outside and it's so dark and gloomy that everyone is extra grouchy. Who's idea was this anyway?
We did have a few moments of fun mixed in with all the stress, though. We had an afternoon at the "Parker Theater" with the neighbors. It was really fun and required almost no effort on my part. We crammed a bunch of kids and a handfull of moms into the living room to watch BOLT, and we made our own trail mix. Each kid brought a cup full of their favorite trail mix ingredient and we dumped it all into a giant bowl, mixed it up, and gave everyone a cup full. This was a big big hit. All I had to do was vacuum and wash the bowl.
We also enjoyed some Valentine's fun, played a lot with Uncle Chase before he left, pulled out a few activities sent to us by Aunt Leslie (you SAVED me!), ate dinner on the floor one night, played lots of card games and Hotpotato, and ate way more treats than we should have.
Yesterday, in the final hours of break, when I was a disheveled, stuttering, wild-eyed mess, hoping I could just hold it together until the next day, I gave in and said, "Who wants to watch a movie?" It was all I could think of, but it worked. They spent their final hours with their eyes glued to the screen and brains turning to mush as I sat on the couch with the baby, staring off into space, muttering over and over, "Only 2 months til Spring, Only 2 months til Spring."
Winter Break?
I can see taking a break from school in the winter if you lived in a warm weather climate like Arizona or California. Sure, who wouldn't want to take a week off to play when it's 75 degrees all day? Or, even say, if you lived in a really cold place and had the resources to fly to the Bahamas for a week, sure! I'd want a week off for that too.
But we don't come under either of those categories and still, we have a week off (12 days this time due to sick days and pres. day) during the middle of February. They take the single most horrible weather month and take away all structured activity for a week. We can't go outside and it's so dark and gloomy that everyone is extra grouchy. Who's idea was this anyway?
We did have a few moments of fun mixed in with all the stress, though. We had an afternoon at the "Parker Theater" with the neighbors. It was really fun and required almost no effort on my part. We crammed a bunch of kids and a handfull of moms into the living room to watch BOLT, and we made our own trail mix. Each kid brought a cup full of their favorite trail mix ingredient and we dumped it all into a giant bowl, mixed it up, and gave everyone a cup full. This was a big big hit. All I had to do was vacuum and wash the bowl.
We also enjoyed some Valentine's fun, played a lot with Uncle Chase before he left, pulled out a few activities sent to us by Aunt Leslie (you SAVED me!), ate dinner on the floor one night, played lots of card games and Hotpotato, and ate way more treats than we should have.
Yesterday, in the final hours of break, when I was a disheveled, stuttering, wild-eyed mess, hoping I could just hold it together until the next day, I gave in and said, "Who wants to watch a movie?" It was all I could think of, but it worked. They spent their final hours with their eyes glued to the screen and brains turning to mush as I sat on the couch with the baby, staring off into space, muttering over and over, "Only 2 months til Spring, Only 2 months til Spring."


7 Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
I say, "only 12 years 'till college. only 12 years 'till college." :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.
This comment has been removed by the author.
I would have been showing movies (plural) much sooner. But we all know how low my standards are these days. :)
I hear you, only our awful weather break is three months long. I really wonder why the desert regions don't get "summer break" in the winter when we have "summer" weather. I'm glad you had a good time with the kids. So...homeschool next year? ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home