Tuesday, July 21, 2009

We're home (sniff sniff)

Well, we're home.

ugh.

Since returning home less than 24 hours ago, 3 people have asked me, "Are you happy to be home and sleeping in your own bed again?"

Let's see.

It's raining, I have to unpack, raccoons got into my trash last night, the kids are bored, I have to go to Costco, and I miss my people.

They're crazy.

IMG_8519

Every last one of them.

I love my Aunt Andie.

IMG_8251

She's nuts. We found this hat while cleaning out a closet (we cleaned out a lot of closets last week.) It belonged to my grandfather, who died 9 years ago.

IMG_8252

I just had to stick this in there. I love naked babies.

IMG_8284

90 percent of the things in the house are from my grandma's childhood. Really.

IMG_8248

That's why it's so much fun to clean closets there. A chair my great-great aunt used to paint in, an old metal milk jug, handkerchiefs embroidered with an "A" for Allen (my grandma's maiden name), an ink well from, well, when they used ink wells, an old meat grinder (this came home with me!), and a bag of fossilized squid bait from somewhere in the 80's.

I love Granny's closets!

Her next door neighbor, Rikki, is one of the most interesting women I know. She rides a bike everywhere, she collects white beach rocks, and she painted her house like this:

IMG_8172

Everything inside the house is white and blue. Everything.

She is the picture of patience. She never complains when we are loud or messy.

And boy oh boy, are we loud and messy.

This is the front yard.

IMG_8262

Seriously. I got to listen to waves as I fell asleep each night. My room at home's got nothing like this.

IMG_8220

All of my children are crabbing at me right now that they're bored. Oh, how I wish I could say, "Go swim in the front."

It might not work so well.

6 Comments:

Blogger Lizzie said...

Well, I'm glad your back! Sorry I missed our date to Stew Leonards. I forget how long it takes me to eat through the things I buy. Looks like you had a fabulous trip though! And I hear you on the rain ... not cool.

7/21/2009 8:38 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I can say go swim in the front, but it's not the same. I totally hear you, my friend. LOUD and CLEAR.

7/21/2009 7:35 PM  
Blogger kj said...

I miss being there...and I was never even there! Next year can I come?

7/22/2009 12:02 PM  
Blogger Darleen said...

That looks so much fun!! I'd miss it there...want to go to the beach?

7/22/2009 9:57 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

You need to camp with me then you'll be happy to be home and sleeping in your own bed. :)

7/23/2009 3:06 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I sympathize most with you on the Costco thing. Esp. because I KNOW exactly where that specific one is located and the terror that takes place inside :)

Coming away from family is so hard...

7/26/2009 1:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home