Brothers and sisters
I was almost 10 years old before I got a sister.
I didn't know anything different than playing with 3 little brothers. We made mud pits, played kickball and hide-n-go-seek, slid down the stairs in sleeping bags, had pretend wars in our awesome playhouse, built by my dad (thanks Dad), climbed trees, did flips off the basement couch where Mom couldn't see us (sorry Mom), and went swimming all day long at the pool down the street.
I loved playing with my brothers.
Sure, I'd try to convince my mom to play dollies or Barbies with me. That never went over well because, face it, Moms are no good at Barbies. So, I gave up most of the girl stuff and played in the mud some more.
By the time my little sister was old enough to run around with the bigger kids, I was a teenager and off doing obnoxious teenagery things. When I got married, she was only 12. She was still no fun. (Sorry Claire) It's only lately that I've been able to have "fun" with her and get along like sisters should.
I haven't ever really wished for anything different.
Until I see things like this:

or this:

My boys "play" together. Don't get me wrong, they include Lucy a lot. She wrestles with them, plays games, builds forts, makes up plays, and is generally loud and obnoxious right along with them.
But she couldn't care less about video games, "guys", or comic books. I often find Miles and Tate (and lately Calvin) squirreled away in a corner of the house somewhere doing brother stuff.

Lucy doesn't want to do what they're doing, she just wants somebody to do her stuff with her. I'm the default dolly dresser upper or Barbie player, but remember, moms are no good at this stuff. She absolutely delights in going to her best friend, Ellie's, house to play with "girly" stuff and comes home every time glowing.
She needs another girl.
I know she'll be almost 7 when this baby comes, but hopefully they'll be able to find something they can giggle about together. I might even catch them squirreled away in a corner someday, dressing dollies or drawing fancy dresses.
Hurry up, Penelope, your sister needs you.
I didn't know anything different than playing with 3 little brothers. We made mud pits, played kickball and hide-n-go-seek, slid down the stairs in sleeping bags, had pretend wars in our awesome playhouse, built by my dad (thanks Dad), climbed trees, did flips off the basement couch where Mom couldn't see us (sorry Mom), and went swimming all day long at the pool down the street.
I loved playing with my brothers.
Sure, I'd try to convince my mom to play dollies or Barbies with me. That never went over well because, face it, Moms are no good at Barbies. So, I gave up most of the girl stuff and played in the mud some more.
By the time my little sister was old enough to run around with the bigger kids, I was a teenager and off doing obnoxious teenagery things. When I got married, she was only 12. She was still no fun. (Sorry Claire) It's only lately that I've been able to have "fun" with her and get along like sisters should.
I haven't ever really wished for anything different.
Until I see things like this:

or this:

My boys "play" together. Don't get me wrong, they include Lucy a lot. She wrestles with them, plays games, builds forts, makes up plays, and is generally loud and obnoxious right along with them.
But she couldn't care less about video games, "guys", or comic books. I often find Miles and Tate (and lately Calvin) squirreled away in a corner of the house somewhere doing brother stuff.

Lucy doesn't want to do what they're doing, she just wants somebody to do her stuff with her. I'm the default dolly dresser upper or Barbie player, but remember, moms are no good at this stuff. She absolutely delights in going to her best friend, Ellie's, house to play with "girly" stuff and comes home every time glowing.
She needs another girl.
I know she'll be almost 7 when this baby comes, but hopefully they'll be able to find something they can giggle about together. I might even catch them squirreled away in a corner someday, dressing dollies or drawing fancy dresses.
Hurry up, Penelope, your sister needs you.


11 Comments:
Wait. Is that the name you guys have chosen?? Penelope? Or is that your little nickname while she's waiting to come? Either way, I think it's darling and catchy :)
I secretly prayed for Juliet to be a boy! I didn't have a sister and thought that Darby and Juliet would never be close because Darby would be 8 when she came! I never wanted them to compete or for there to be a "skinny" sister. Lame, I know! But now that she is here and they share a room and there is an 8 year difference, none of it matters! I know you know that. Darby loves her sister with a fierce love that I have seen with her brothers but it's not quite the same. Juliet loves to be with all of them but there is something special about their bond! How cool will it be to have Darby in the Temple when Juliet gets married! I know your girls will be close because that is what you foster in your home! Penelope is lucky to get Lucy as her Big sister!
IS THAT HER NAME?!?!? Sorry, the excitement made me shout at you!! I am a little sad that I will have one of each (I secretly longed for another boy, but I will take happy and healthy and be happy and healthy about it), but I am so excited for Lucy to have a sister.
I concur - every girl needs a sister. My sister is my best friend and we're 6 years apart.
Penelope?! Is that her name? Oh SO cute!!! I'm so excited for everyone and ESPECIALLY for Loo!
Cute post. I know they will love each other!
The last picture of Tate and Miles is EXACTLY the same one (times 1000) that I have of Drew playing his black DS and Owen looking over his shoulder. The expressions are the same and everything. You could waltz through the room with fireworks shooting out of your head and they wouldn't bat an eye. Boys. I'm surrounded by so many that now I'm afraid of girls. Go figure.
I love my sisters and I am so happy for Lucy that she is getting one!
This comment has been removed by the author.
Annika felt awful. Sorry! Think of it as a testament to your fabulous storytelling talent. It's hard to know when you're making things up. :)
I think her name's adorable, by the way. Perfect with all the other names in your fam.
Hattie & I are 7 years apart. I don't know that she was ever big enough to play with me until she had a kid. Oh well...maybe Lucy will be more patient than I was!
Yay! Another girl! Lucy is going to just gush over her, I can picture her picking out all her outfits, doing her hair, etc...how fun!
Post a Comment
<< Home