Sunday, April 23, 2006

They're keeping me on my toes!



Well, no time to be bored I guess. We've had an interesting week with Miles. He had a seizure early Friday morning, and since this was his second in two weeks, his doctor sent us immediately to the emergency room. He had a CT scan, which he did very well for. They didn't even have to sedate him, just handed him a pacifier and he was happy as a clam to lay still and hold my finger. They also did some blood tests. These he did NOT lay still for, and the three nurses it took to finally get some blood out of him kept using alternate words for "fat". I suppose they learn this in sensitivity training or something, but it was funny to hear them try and describe why they were having such a hard time. "Your sons foot is just a little too. . . uh. . thick to find a vein." "His arm is so. . . uh. . well padded, that we can't reach the vein." I finally just said, "you mean fat." They nervously glanced at one another and then admitted that "yes, he's very healthy". Well, he finally got sent up to the pediatric part of the hospital where all the nurses and doctors just loved him. I'm sure they mostly get very sick looking and acting kids, so they didn't know quite what to do when Miles kept ripping off the wires from his abdomen and chewing on them. All the tests came back fine so they're sending us for an EEG on Tuesday and an MRI after that. I called my wonderful friend Michelle (a pediatrician) to find out all the things that could be causing this and she gave me a list of "don't want it to be this" and a list of "ok if it's this". We're voting for electrolite imbalance or caused by reflux. I will keep you all posted when I find out anything new. Please remember Miles in your families' prayers.


2 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

Alison...love the stories on your blog, they are so great! Little Miles is in our prayers, hope all goes well!

Love ya...
Courtney

4/24/2006 11:35 AM  
Blogger Tanya said...

We will be praying for that cute little kid. And his awesome parents too. Hang in there!!!! We miss you guys tons. Can't wait to see you. Keep us posted.
Tanya

4/24/2006 1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home