Monday, January 28, 2008

The Fork Incident. . .

IMG_5471
Last night at dinner, out of the blue, Lucy inexplicably stabbed herself between the eyes with a fork. Hard. She might have thought she was a pork chop, that her brain had been taken over by aliens and she was trying to dig them out, or she simply had had enough of my lousy cooking and decided to end it all, but it was no accident. There was no coherent explanation, and we were all left, bewildered, to stare in horror as she clutched her face and screamed. She was left with two little holes on the bridge of her nose, about which she is very worried. Now here's a little tidbit of parenting wisdom which I will share with any reader who has a little girl, plans on having a little girl, or ever might be in the same room as a little girl. (I usually like to keep these to myself so as to allow other parents to discover the parenting pearls of wisdom on there own, and so as not to seem overly confident in my abilities as a parent. In this, however, I am certain to be right.) When a little girl is inquiring as to the severity of an injury she has sustained, always, always, always, in every case, DOWNPLAY! Do not do as Lucy's daddy did.
Lu: (tearfully, and with a look of great sadness and fear) "Daddy, how long will I have to have these holes in my skin?"
Daddy: "Only a week."
Lu: (wailing as if sentenced to a dungeon prison) "A WEEK!?! Oh no! I don't want holes in me for a week! Sob. . . Sob. . . Sob"
Luckily, Mom stepped in and told her she could fix it right after bath.
We all laughed so hard last night, that her feelings were hurt and no one was allowed to mention the "forking" again, but in the ensuing 24 hours, each of us bystanders continues to break into giggles at the memory.

IMG_5473

10 Comments:

Blogger Kristen said...

Why did she stab herself with the fork? Pretty funny little incident. You guys sure have exciting dinners.

1/28/2008 10:35 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I LOVE the reenactment of the event. Did you get holes in your head too, Jake?
Les.

1/28/2008 10:48 PM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

I'm sure she was just testing out the many capabilities of the fork. Hopefully one trial was enough for her. (In the meantime, back to spoons or sporks?)

1/28/2008 11:09 PM  
Blogger Courtney said...

When setting the table for dinner next time you need to put a cork on her fork and just leave it next to her plate.

1/28/2008 11:44 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Was primary really so bad that she was ready to end it all right then and there? I'll have to try harder next week! :)

1/29/2008 9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hee hee! Reid told us about this one... that Lucy is sure funny!

1/29/2008 9:36 AM  
Blogger Darleen said...

Perhaps she was trying to be the little mermaid and missed?? Poor Lucy and thanks for the advice.

1/29/2008 3:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Biggest laugh of the week. Glad I wasn't there or she'd hate me forever for the laughing. Kids...you just never know.

Grandpa Parker

1/29/2008 3:23 PM  
Blogger kj said...

Love Jake's version of the event. What a tragic crack up!

1/30/2008 10:08 AM  
Blogger The Cochran Family said...

This is hallarios!!! LOL! My spelling is too. Anyway, how are yall?(yes I have fallen under some kind of texan trance)Tell your hubby we miss our home teacher! I am enjoying the weather as much as possible. If it's 65 or above i'm in shorts..the rest of austin is wearing a jacket and I laugh!

1/30/2008 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home