Friday Fun Day

When I was a kid, Friday was my favorite day. I think it was because I usually didn't get homework on that day, I got to watch t.v. after school (we had a Fri and Sat t.v. rule at our house), I got to stay up a little late, and of course, the anticipation of Saturday!
Well, I'm no longer in school, I don't have a job, and I definitely don't have Saturdays off, but oddly enough, I am still unreasonably excited for Fridays!
To make it more fun for the kids, we instituted Friday Fun Days. After school we all get an unhealthy snack, we run around like mad, make a treat, and get out all the toys (things I discourage on school nights because it takes forever to get them to bed.) Then, we have an early dinner and get in our jammies. Then comes the really fun part. We all pile onto my bed or the couch and we watch a kid movie (predetermined by me as a preemptive strike against fighting) while eating the snack we made.
It is working wonderfully! The kids all look forward to it and actually like to help me plan it. So, since this is my journal, I'm going to start recording our FFD's activities here.
Tonight was snickerdoodles and the movie Dinosaurs (kill me now). I try to pick one they've never seen, so I was surprised when Tate said, "Oh, I saw that at Nate's house!" Me: "Nate's house?" "Yeah, you know Nate, my best friend?" Keep in mind, we haven't seen Nate in over two years and Tate was 4!
Anyway, it was a success, but I'm struggling to find more movies to watch that all the kids would like and we haven't seen yet.


9 Comments:
What a great concept! Do you use Netflix? I browse their catalogs whenever I'm looking for something original to watch. Or you could always bust out some good flicks from our childhood days...
Have you ever seen "The Emperor's New Groove?" I love that show, it's a great kids movie! I still have your Curious George movie, I bet you'd like that one back too.
What a good idea! What about an old musical or something? We are partial to "Oliver," but I can't say that's a completely objective criticism.
I love the bouncer you guys have on the left. I bet if there is any fighting he would nip it right in the bud.
That's a great idea!
Les.
I told Nate Tate said that and he said he remembered too. Geez, that was a long time ago. I wish they could grow up closer together. Nate, Ella and I were talking about who they should marry and decided we'll just plan on Tate for Ella, Lucy for Nate.
How bout it?
Dang that looks like fun! We only do Friday fun days when we can't find a babysitter for date nights. We don't all pile into Mom & Dad's bed though. Good idea. Makes me wonder which the kids prefer . . . movie time with Mom & Dad, or the freedom of the babysitter.
such a fun idea.
Yay for TGIFridays. They are always the best. Do you order pizza?
Post a Comment
<< Home