"We should have them over for dinner sometime."
For the last 10 years, Jake and I have been having the same conversation over and over.
Me: "You know what? I really like those guys, Jehosephat and Sassafrass."
(No, we don't know anyone named Jehosephat and Sassafrass, but feel free to insert your own name, as this has probably included you at one point or another.)
Jake: "Yeah, they seem really cool."
Me: "I wish we could get to know them a little better."
Jake: "We should have them over for dinner sometime."
Here's the part where I give him the look. He knows why. He knows that I do all the cooking around these parts. He knows I would have to clean the house first. He knows I'm the kid wrangler in this family. He knows I'm the dishwasher and kitchen cleaner after dinner.
Don't get me wrong, Jake is a great help at many things. He bathes kids, cleans the garage, and takes out the trash on a very regular basis, however, when it comes to entertaining, he reverts to not-a-care-in-the-world-single-guy Jake.
We have a teeny tiny house, a dining room that can barely fit the 6 of us simultaneously, no dishwasher, 4 loud children, and it's too cold to eat outside. When friends are over, Jake is wonderful about making them feel comfortable and welcome, but children could go running past him in flames and he wouldn't notice.
So, what would I like to hear instead?
"... wish we could get to know them a little better."
Him: "Yeah, we should get a babysitter and go out to eat with them sometime."
Me: "You know what? I really like those guys, Jehosephat and Sassafrass."
(No, we don't know anyone named Jehosephat and Sassafrass, but feel free to insert your own name, as this has probably included you at one point or another.)
Jake: "Yeah, they seem really cool."
Me: "I wish we could get to know them a little better."
Jake: "We should have them over for dinner sometime."
Here's the part where I give him the look. He knows why. He knows that I do all the cooking around these parts. He knows I would have to clean the house first. He knows I'm the kid wrangler in this family. He knows I'm the dishwasher and kitchen cleaner after dinner.
Don't get me wrong, Jake is a great help at many things. He bathes kids, cleans the garage, and takes out the trash on a very regular basis, however, when it comes to entertaining, he reverts to not-a-care-in-the-world-single-guy Jake.
We have a teeny tiny house, a dining room that can barely fit the 6 of us simultaneously, no dishwasher, 4 loud children, and it's too cold to eat outside. When friends are over, Jake is wonderful about making them feel comfortable and welcome, but children could go running past him in flames and he wouldn't notice.
So, what would I like to hear instead?
"... wish we could get to know them a little better."
Him: "Yeah, we should get a babysitter and go out to eat with them sometime."


5 Comments:
Amen Sista...I mean Daughta!
I see your point. I'd help you with the dishes, but my kid would be the one to start the other kids on fire...
So funny. That sounds really familiar to me for some reason...Oh yeah! My life is exactly like that, except that Bill would notice the flames and think, "Why isn't she doing anything abou that?"
When we first got married Justin would actually invite the people over and then tell me later. I made a rule that if you do the inviting you get to do the work. It has worked out pretty well.
I'd like to insert my name please. Let's get a babysitter and go out to dinner!
Post a Comment
<< Home