Still alive...barely!
I've had a few frantic people checking to see if I've gone off the grid because of a new baby.
No.
A big horrible rotten storm actually.
Actually, we fared better than most in this storm, but it was the worst I've ever seen. We've lost power, our basement is flooding, there's no heat, Calvin's having a reaction to his 6 shots he got 2 days ago, we have to throw out everything in our fridge and two freezers, and we all thought we were gonna die.
No.
A big horrible rotten storm actually.
Actually, we fared better than most in this storm, but it was the worst I've ever seen. We've lost power, our basement is flooding, there's no heat, Calvin's having a reaction to his 6 shots he got 2 days ago, we have to throw out everything in our fridge and two freezers, and we all thought we were gonna die.
I'll admit the Scooby Doo in me may have reared it's head during the worst parts.
Our backyard toys are almost all headed for the dump, but with so many buildings in our immediate neighborhood being demolished, I really can't complain. We feel very blessed today. This house is two doors down, but sustained such minor damage compared to the rest of the street, I don't think they're feeling too badly either.

The Swingset made a few trips around the yard before settling on the airplane and teeter totter.

Bits of it also ended up in the neighbor's yard.


Bits of it also ended up in the neighbor's yard.

The playhouse used to stand on this:

but took a short trip to the front yard before blowing back toward us and then into a neighbor's tree.

And somehow, ended up with one of our trash cans inside it.

Whole Foods isn't whole anymore

and the porch on this house that I love is not so lovely anymore.

No worries though Mom, we are safe and fine except no power for the next couple of days. It's good practice for our emergency preparedness. Actually, I guess it really was an emergency and we're doing fine.
Although, I don't think I'll be sitting down here to relax anymore:

Friends took us in for the day yesterday so we wouln't waste firewood trying to stay warm during the day. I brought all our food that was still good and we had ourselves a little feast. It was strange to go into someone's house that had power. I kind of felt like a homeless person entering a grand mansion. I would have made a lousy pioneer.

Thanks guys!
As for now, NBC is filming down the street in front of one of the worst destroyed houses and I'm timing contractions! The fun never ends.


9 Comments:
So glad you guys are ok. That was one HECK of a storm!!! I didn't know they had ones like that in the Northeast. That's an epic Gulf Coast storm.
Greg just sent me the clippings this morning of the damage in Darien. I cannot believe it!! Do you have power back yet?? I see Jesse there in the background - where did you guys end up going?? Oh gee! What a time to go into labor.... Wish we were there to help (not to live) - just to help :)
I've been worried about you guys! I'm glad you fared relatively okay. I can't believe that Whole Foods looks like that! I wonder how our old house is. The trees around it were enormous. Jay is glad that he isn't having to take care of Greenwich Academy!!!
Wish we could help you guys out! Stay calm and think non-contracting thoughts.
Well at least you can look on the bright side. Hopefully the power will return soon.
Holy cow. I am so very glad you are okay. Get your rears back here already. What an incredible story with an even more intense hanger. We'll be waiting anxiously for any news on the contractions, all the while praying things will go well with the labor. I hope you have all the help you need back there. You can always put some kids on a plane to Dallas and I'll keep them for a year or two. (Or I guess I could send them back sooner if you want)
Holy COW!!! That is crazy, I can't believe it! I am glad you guys are ok-relatively speaking-and that your home is still standing. HOpefully this warmer weather is working it's way up to you so you don't have to stay in a freezing home all day. Good luck!!!
that looks terrible! I am so sorry. I feel like you guys are living wizard of oz.
Nana's been keeping me updated. I didn't want to use up your cell phone batteries. I'm glad you're safe and that you weren't born 100 years ago. I'd have made a lousy pioneer, too. Love you guys!
Do you know what happened in the late 60'S when The East Coast suffered a huge blackout for almost a week? A gazillion babies were born there exactly 9 months later. At least you don't have THAT to worry about!
Post a Comment
<< Home