Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Almost a Cougar -

Jake got accepted to BYU!

He got his acceptance letter in the mail yesterday. Well, not like most people get accepted, but this is just as exciting. I think it's funny that he would never have been accepted as a student, but he's getting in as a teacher. Plus, he won't have all those student loans.

Now we will finally know what people are talking about.

"You know, that park, down by the Blahblah building?"

"You know, over by the mall on Blahblah street?"

"You know, like the food at Blahblah?"

Um, no.

I never know what they are talking about. I've never lived in Provo, but 99% of Mormons here assume I have. (Actually, I was born there, but we moved before I became a "real person".) Jake and I have always joked about being the left-outs. Everyone else "goes home to Utah" during the summer and comes back with tales of BYU football and bread from somewhere and tacos from another.

I can't wait.

Now I just need some recommendations of where I have to go and what we have to do when we get there.

That, and some bow-ties for "Brother Parker".

9 Comments:

Blogger Megan and Braden Edwards said...

You HAVE to go to Cafe Rio, that is a really big conversation piece within the mormon clan, one of the best mexican places in Utah, they are located everywhere. We'll miss you guys!!!

7/27/2010 8:50 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

YEAAAAAAAAA!

7/27/2010 10:02 AM  
Blogger Marilee said...

Wait, is he teaching? WHAT IS THE DEAL? More details, please!!!! Congratulations!!!! We thoroughly enjoyed our time in Provo and there is so much to do. I performed up at Sundance and we would ride the lift often. Vivienne Park is fun...I saw a moose with her calf and a cougar eating a deer there. (Sounds more dangerous than it was!) The zoo really stinks in SLC so that about made up for it!

7/27/2010 1:27 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Well, the first thing you need to do is head up to the bookstore at the University of Utah and get the RIGHT colored shirt!!! ;) Welcome to the RIVALRY!

You NEED to check out Cafe Rio-their pork tacos dipped in their tomatillo dressing-TO DIE FOR! Or their chicken salads drenched in their tomatillo dressing-TO DIE FOR! Maybe you just need a pint of the dressing ;)
Litza's Pizza in Downtown SLC is also really good-best pizza around.

There is a really great children's museum at Temple square-and it's free and hands on. Kennecott Copper mine way out west is kinda cool-you can actually see it from outer space. It's not a place you'll need to visit often, but definitely worth the trip. The CLarke Planetarium at the Gateway Mall downtown is kinda cool, pretty small but once your done there you can head over and run through the fountains at the gateway. It's free unless you want to watch one of the movies there. I could go on and on, so I'll stop here for now.

As you can tell from my first few sentences, I haven't spent a lot of time "down south" in Provo so I'm not sure exactly what's down there, but I can tell you lots about the other end of the valley. Let me know if you have any questions.

7/27/2010 4:07 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Sorry, one other thing...when are you moving? Is he starting this fall?

7/27/2010 4:09 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

This is a pretty big teaser post. So what's the dealio? Is Jake going to go back to study something specific, become a fancy professor? We need to know more! (Those of us who don't know anything, anyway.) Whatever it is, congrats on the new adventure.

"Rise and Shout, the PARKERS are out!!"

7/27/2010 7:43 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Formal congratulations! That's so exciting. I hope you get that house...it has a good vibe and your neighbor lady is really nice.

7/29/2010 12:40 AM  
Blogger kj said...

sounds like good news! I need more details too! And you'll be so much closer to the Gila valley than you are now. And much closer to me! Yay me!

7/29/2010 7:31 PM  
Blogger Christine said...

What...What? Is Jake going to teach there? And when? This fall?? Crazy! Congrats. PS - I'll be at YOUR ward this weekend in CT... So I hope you and the fam are there! Would love to see you!!!!

7/29/2010 8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home