Thursday, May 01, 2008

Maybe they have been listening.

I'm thinking today of my friend Bekki. She is the best friend of my s-i-l, Leslie, and I've known her and her husband for a very long time. Bekki's middle son, Garrett, passed away today at the age of 4 1/2 from a very very sudden case of encephalitis. We just saw him while we were in AZ and in fact, he and Tate had a wonderful time terrorizing each other at the splash park. I've been teary all day thinking about, "How would I feel if it was my 4 1/2 year old, Lucy?" "How is Bekki not insane from grief?" "How do you recover as a family from something like this?"
I went to tell my kids, and their response was amazing.
"Hey guys? Remember Garrett in AZ? Well, he got really sick all of a sudden, and he died today." Tate looked down and stared at the floor, "Oh." Lucy's eyes got really big and she didn't answer for a second or two. Then, "When does he get to see Heavenly Father?!"
"Uh, right now. He's with him right now."
Tate's responded right away with, "Wow, I wish I could see Him." And Lucy said, "Yeah, I wonder what he looks like?"
And then Tate added, "I wonder how long he'll have to wait for his family to come too."
It was so interesting to watch them use all those things they've heard and learned. I just thought it was all going in one ear and out the other, but they believe. They've been listening! They know that Garrett will be with his family one day.
My kids, with their simple questions, lifted me and reminded me of why this is not the end. I've never been more grateful to have an Eternal Family, sealed in the temple.
5259_MESAAZ_hr

11 Comments:

Blogger Hillary said...

What sweet responses from your cute little kids. What a terrible thing to have to go through, but your kids are right, he's with Heavenly Father-what a lucky little kid. Too bad the pain is still here on the earth with his family. I hope you're doing ok, what a tragedy-I didn't know them and I can't even wrap my head around something like this happening.

5/01/2008 6:19 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Wow, this one made me cry! Way to be great parents and teach your wonderful kids these important lessons. Thanks for sharing, Al.

5/01/2008 8:40 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Oh Al, thanks so much for sharing this. We can feel your prayers. I need to record the things my kids have been saying, but I just can't do it yet.
Love you guys,
Les.

5/02/2008 1:10 AM  
Blogger Courtney said...

Our prayers are with Bekki's family. That seems like something that isn't fair for a parent to go through. I love Lucy and Tate's simple and obvious statements that needed to be voiced and realized.

5/02/2008 10:55 AM  
Blogger Kristen said...

What a hard thing for a family to go through. Thanks goodness for eternal families.

5/02/2008 12:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al:

I was by ysterday and Kaisa and her little friend had written a message in chalk on the sidewalk...I Love You Garrett.

It did me good to hug them all, especially Leslie. No matter how big they get, they're still as precious as they were when they were little.

Grandpa Parker

5/02/2008 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al:

I was by ysterday and Kaisa and her little friend had written a message in chalk on the sidewalk...I Love You Garrett.

It did me good to hug them all, especially Leslie. No matter how big they get, they're still as precious as they were when they were little.

Grandpa Parker

5/02/2008 3:53 PM  
Blogger Tanya said...

Prayers are going out to Garret's family from ours.

5/02/2008 6:57 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

This one made me tear up. Thanks, Alison.

5/03/2008 9:18 AM  
Blogger Melinda Jones said...

Wow, that is really moving. It is a good reminder of the wisdom and spirituality of little ones.

5/04/2008 6:20 PM  
Blogger Steph said...

Comments like these from children always put things back into perspective for me. Thanks for sharing.

5/11/2008 10:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home