Sunday, September 28, 2008

Just what I needed

So, as I wrote earlier, I've been feeling really frustrated at the amount of things I'm actually accomplishing. At the end of each day, I find myself asking, "Did I do anything today that won't have to be redone tomorrow or next week?" Usually the answer is "no". Dinner will need to be prepared tomorrow, those clothes will get dirty again and end up in my basement before next Friday, floors to be swept, bums to be wiped, bills to be paid, and on and on. Occasionally I will finish a project like sewing a quilt or painting a piece of furniture or framing a picture and feel great about finally doing something that lasts. Jake gets to do that every day with his art and I suppose I was feeling like it was my turn to be creative instead of being Cinderella.

Enter Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf.

I attended the General Relief Society Broadcast last night and as I listened to him speak, I realized that he was talking to me. He spoke about being creative and making an environment that is beautiful. He talked about creating a life filled with beauty and helpfulness, smiles, and teaching.

I do that! When I teach Tate that capital letters go at the beginning of a sentence and clothes go in a hamper, or explain to Miles why hitting your sibling in the face makes them want to not play with you, or show Lucy how to make her own bed and what to do about the mean girl on the playground, when I show them that serving others makes us feel fantastic, these things will (someday) stick! Hopefully they will take it all and teach it to their kids.

During lunch yesterday, the kids and I had a very impromptu discussion about their role in the pre-existence, how they fought for the right and wanted desperately to come here and be tested. I can't remember how it started, but at the end of our conversation, I could see that Tate and Lucy had soaked up a good sized portion of what was said. They understood just a little bit more what they're doing here and who they really are. That will last. Way longer than any quilt or chair.

Or painting of Jake's for that matter.

4 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

You really are the embodiment of the creativity that he spoke of. I was so glad to hear that talk, because it reminded me that I am my own worst enemy. Your children and your home are a creation to be envied, Al. Don't forget that. You're an amazing mom-xample for the rest of us.

And yes. Yes, I just made up a word.

9/28/2008 8:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love what he said. It made me feel good. You know instead of leaving with a list to do, I felt like just remembering to come and teaching my children the example of obedience to the leaders was something I could check off a list. We create! Yahoo

9/29/2008 6:34 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I had described the conference as "underwhelming" but now that I've read your summary, I realize it's just what we all needed! Like Hattie said, it was an invitation to check something off instead of adding to the long list of stuff.
Thanks, sisters. I love you guys!
Les.

9/29/2008 7:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Al: Elder Uchtdorf is amazing. I spoke with him recently at a Stake Conference. I explained what was happening to me and how enheartened I was that he had said the Church was still changing. He told me that the Church was still not finished and to take heart and gave me a hug and told me he loved me. These are great men with an overwhelming challenge in life.

Dad Parker

10/01/2008 7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home