Sunday, September 28, 2008

Well, do you want me to exercise or not? Make up your mind!

At each of my recent doctor's appointments, after checking my weight and noticing great strides, my Dr. proceeds to remind me that pregnant women can exercise just like everyone else. "Don't let pregnancy stop you from keeping active and doing things like you did before. Just no scuba diving and no skiing."
Well, I'm not skiing, but I do walk to school each day and walk home with the kids, I clean my own house, I do all my own grocery shopping and gardening and I have 2 flights of stairs to carry laundry up and down. I take the kids to the pool and the park, we play hopscotch in the front yard, we play nerf guns in the back, and I still "race" Miles just about everywhere we go during the day. I'm doing pretty well.

Each afternoon after school and homework, we go next door and I watch the kids jump on the trampoline.

IMG_4561

Each time they beg me to jump with them, but it just doesn't look all that comfortable, so I decline. Well, last week when they offered, I thought, "Why not? My doctor said to stay active."

IMG_4600

It wasn't all that bad. It was actually pretty good exercise and we were having a great time (keep in mind, I'm jumping with Miley on there so I'm taking it very very easy), until...

IMG_4594
(Jenny must have thought this was too good to pass up because she took all these photos. This is not the actual incident, but I'm sure the look on my face is the same)

I tripped, landed on my bum just as everyone else landed on their feet, double bounced Lucy, who flew about 6 feet into the air, only to come crashing down feet-first on my stomach. It hurt. A lot. Two hours later I was still having contractions, the baby wasn't moving much, and paranoid me was worrying about everything that could possibly be going on, so I caved and called my doctor.

Let me say, he used great self control and didn't laugh out loud, but just barely. He asked a few questions, told me what to keep an eye out for, and finished with, "Oh, and Alison, stay off the trampoline." I got a little annoyed and replied, "Hey, you told me to exercise!" He again, used his self control, lucky for him, and said, "I never said anything about any trampoline."

I just know that whatever dinner party he was at was shortly after entertained by a story about his idiot patient who was bouncing with all her kids on a trampoline at 7 months pregnant.

IMG_4661

Hey, it was fun while it lasted!

IMG_4581

IMG_4553

IMG_4660

IMG_4655

9 Comments:

Blogger Molly said...

You are a terribly cute 7 month pg woman. At 7 months, I looked like I'd eated Rhode Island.

9/28/2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger Molly said...

Eaten. Eaten Rhode Island. Hi, I teach English!

9/28/2008 8:56 PM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

Laughing out loud, as usual. I don't have enough bladder control to jump on the trampoline when I'm not pregnant!

Love the pink socks.

9/29/2008 1:23 AM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

That's funny! Mostly because you're ok!!! And great pics, too! Props to Jenny!

9/29/2008 3:49 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Wow - you're brave. The facial expression on you is priceless. It says it all. Ha!

9/29/2008 5:33 PM  
Blogger kj said...

Scarey! Glad you're okay, and Dr.'s who tell mothers not to exercise when they're pregnant just don't get it. Life is exercise! I totally agree with Molly - you're a way cute 7 months pregnant woman.

9/29/2008 6:18 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Party on the trampoline! I'm glad you're okay, and these pictures are fabulous. I wish it was video so I could get some hits on YouTube. ;)
Les.

9/29/2008 7:33 PM  
Blogger Rachael said...

Okay - socks? Why were you wearing socks on a trampoline? That's just a disaster waiting to happen...

10/01/2008 3:11 PM  
Blogger Suzy J said...

My doc said "NO more exercise and could you please try to not pee when you walk across the room chubby?" I can't roll onto the tramp let alone sit or stand on it! You brave brave lady! I am glad you are ok. B.t.w. I think Pres. Uchtdorf was talking to me... I am sure he said "Suzy wiping bums and teaching to wipe bums counts as creativity and compassion!" It was quite but I heard my name! ;)

10/01/2008 11:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home