Wednesday, June 03, 2009

Field Day

Once again, the Parkers' lack of athletic ability has been paraded around Cos Cob School.

That's right, it's Field Day!

IMG_7422

Lucy's been looking forward to this since Tate was in Kindergarten.

IMG_7398

It's a good thing her class won the hula-hoop race, earning her a blue ribbon,

IMG_7403

because she came in dead last in everything else today, just like Tate did 2 years ago!

It's not that she didn't try. Take the 200 meter for instance. She got a good start.

IMG_7480

Check out her form. She's doing great.

Fast forward to the finish line. Oh, I think I see her coming in...

IMG_7481

Uh oh, something's not quite right.


IMG_7482

Yep, she's not looking too good.

IMG_7483

Oh, I think she's going to have a stroke.

She came in WAY behind every other 5 year old girl, and that was with the huge line of teachers and parents cheering like mad just to get her across the line.

Tate did pretty well, considering his lineage. He was more interested, however, in eating these

IMG_7469

and tormenting her.

IMG_7471

(notice the blue popsicle stick lurking near her ear.)

He did take a break from being 8 long enough to win a few ribbons.

IMG_7438

He actually ran like a madman and made his parents proud.

IMG_7441

Astonished, but proud.

Calvin was a dream, spending the majority of the time in here:

IMG_7380

(This is right before he checked out for the morning.)

Jake was able to postpone his work day long enough to attend the festivities.

IMG_7450

He made such a huge sacrifice, what with all that hard work he did.

IMG_7453

Honestly, I don't think I got a single picture of him all day where something wasn't on it's way into his mouth. He takes time off work very seriously.

Even Miles had the time of his life. Seriously, let this kid run as fast as he can a few times, give him a ribbon and one of these-

IMG_7490

and he's set for quite a while.

IMG_7488

Lucy recovered from her trying athletic endeavors in time to enjoy the day with her buddies.

IMG_7413

(So, at what age is it no longer acceptable to stand this close to your best friend out in the middle of a field? What's wrong with adults?)

She even enjoyed a few of the events, like the rubber band race. Ok, who thinks this one up?

"Hmmm, I think we should take a bunch of kids who are about as coordinated as a herd of drunk giraffes, tie their feet together, and make them hobble down the field as fast as they can. Let's start with that girl who can barely remain upright as it is. Yep, that curly one with the broken nose! Yeah, she looks like a good candidate!"

IMG_7458

Luckily, she didn't break any new bones.

After all was said and done, it was voted a success by all 3 kids involved.

My only complaint:

Too much of this-

IMG_7387

and not enough this-

IMG_7446

By the way, they lost the baton relay, but only after somebody dropped the baton. Nobody was quite sure who's fault it was, but I have a sneaking suspicion.

IMG_7447

*20 bonus points to anyone who can spot the photo with the "mean man" in the background, shaking down the kindergartener for her lunch money.

9 Comments:

Blogger willreidsmith said...

Looked for the mean man, and couldn't find him. I think you're making it up. PS, love the Popsicle stick in the girl's ear. So Tate.

6/07/2009 7:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, it's the top one and the mean man looks alot like Jake from afar. I love the shirts! Those are some great pictures, too bad you never get any good weather! Congrats on the ribbons guys. You both looked great, Tate - especially in the relay race! Way to hold onto the baton.

6/08/2009 12:55 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I looked again and it seems like the mean man stole Jakes chair.

6/08/2009 12:56 AM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I was going to say the close-up of Miles without the juice bag, but I'm with Hattie. The guy in the sunglasses sitting down sure looks mean.

6/08/2009 11:33 AM  
Blogger Claudia said...

The mean man has a vice-like grip on the little girl's arm and looks like he's got a golf club or crowbar in his other hand. Who let him in? Where is his mother?

6/08/2009 2:53 PM  
Blogger Annika said...

The mean man looks a lot like Jake. Who's the girl he's about to hit with the crowbar?

6/08/2009 5:14 PM  
Blogger The Blakes said...

I look forward to the Field Day post every year. This year did not fail to impress. I'm only anxious to see how Miles will contribute to the family sportsmanship!

6/09/2009 11:22 AM  
Blogger Rachael said...

I heard briefly about those "field days" in CT before we left and I was dreading it for my Big Guy - because it sounds like it's all intense and time consuming RIGHT at the end of the school year. But it looks like you guys had a blast!

6/14/2009 11:00 AM  
Blogger Steph said...

A harsh reality - After postponing field day twice due to rain, it looks like there will be no field day for Tasha this year. Bummer!

I'm glad the weather cooperated for Tate and Lucy. Looks like they enjoyed themselves.

6/19/2009 8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home