DIY Halloween
We got a little lazy this year. Well, maybe not lazy, but Halloween was toned way down.
Jake's work has a party for the kids every year. We ditched that.
I made all the costumes out of stuff we had around the house. ("made" might be an overstatement. More like "assembled.")
Tate was a reluctant ninja. Not reluctant to be a ninja, just reluctant to keep the costume on.

Lucy was Little Red Riding Hood (to hide the cast).

Miles was our enthusiastic ninja. I've had a hard time convincing him to take the hood off for bed this entire week.


It's nice to have a bunch of ninja's defending you.

(Don't ask about Tate. Still not quite sure.)
And Calvin was a Vampire in disguise. At first glance, he was just a baby in feety pajamas,


But if you tried to part him and his lollipop, the fangs came out and you lost a hand.

The ward trunk or treat was canceled because the new activities person didn't want to do it, so we had our very own. Julie pulled it all together, with lots of help from everyone invited.

It was every bit as good as a ward party, only we got to do whatever we wanted! (hot dogs instead of chili, decorating masks, early enough in the day to let everyone go home and do their own thing.) My kids loved it.

(Is anyone else worried about the fact that Miss Lucy is only 2 weeks younger than her best friend, and yet, only comes up to her neck? It's not like Ellie's got amazon parents or anything. Well, she does, but so does Lucy! I gotta feed that girl more green beans.)
The kids still had a great time this year, despite parental laziness, and still ended up with enough candy to make Jake and I sick about an hour after the kids had gone to bed. Go figure.
Jake's work has a party for the kids every year. We ditched that.
I made all the costumes out of stuff we had around the house. ("made" might be an overstatement. More like "assembled.")
Tate was a reluctant ninja. Not reluctant to be a ninja, just reluctant to keep the costume on.

Lucy was Little Red Riding Hood (to hide the cast).

Miles was our enthusiastic ninja. I've had a hard time convincing him to take the hood off for bed this entire week.


It's nice to have a bunch of ninja's defending you.

(Don't ask about Tate. Still not quite sure.)
And Calvin was a Vampire in disguise. At first glance, he was just a baby in feety pajamas,


But if you tried to part him and his lollipop, the fangs came out and you lost a hand.

The ward trunk or treat was canceled because the new activities person didn't want to do it, so we had our very own. Julie pulled it all together, with lots of help from everyone invited.

It was every bit as good as a ward party, only we got to do whatever we wanted! (hot dogs instead of chili, decorating masks, early enough in the day to let everyone go home and do their own thing.) My kids loved it.

(Is anyone else worried about the fact that Miss Lucy is only 2 weeks younger than her best friend, and yet, only comes up to her neck? It's not like Ellie's got amazon parents or anything. Well, she does, but so does Lucy! I gotta feed that girl more green beans.)
The kids still had a great time this year, despite parental laziness, and still ended up with enough candy to make Jake and I sick about an hour after the kids had gone to bed. Go figure.


6 Comments:
I love the photo of Ellie and Lucy! It does crack me up seeing their height difference. But when I was little that's how it always was. My best friend was at least a head shorter than me. Always. In fact, you're my first close friend who I see eye to eye with!
PS... thanks for all the help!
I love the costumes. I bet they were all happier in their sweats anyway. :)
I LOVE seeing parental laziness. I think we should form a club :)
I hardly think that sewing a red riding hood ensemble qualifies as lazy. If that's lazy, I'm a total slug.
Oh, I had a pang of homesickness when I saw a little bit of the autumnal leaves I've missed. Again.
No ward trunk or treat??? Was it because if there was going to be one that it had to be a 2-ward combined and they're a little bit nutty?
Loved the pictures of your laid back costumes. Awesome.
Post a Comment
<< Home